Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ramblings#43(thoughtsonthebeatles)

What can be said about the Beatles that hasn't already been said. Let me try my best to explain to anyone that is reading this just what they mean to me.

In 7th grade Mrs. Fisher had us write a sort of reflection of ourselves. I believe it was intended to be an exercise where we revealed something about us that our peers didn't know. It was a way to give others perspective about how we see ourselves. I remember one girl sharing a particularly revealing and surprising outlook on how she saw herself. It was surprising because her outlook was particularly bleak for one of the top students in our class. It depressed me. And for some reason i found it necessary to make that known to everyone, that i felt that this exercise was doing nothing but depressing the class room. Mrs. Fisher responded by saying, "You know Matt, life isn't always just hunky dory." Full of confidence i told her, "Whenever I am down i listen to the Beatles. Everyone should do that." I will never forget the look on her face.

Next year in 8th grade a girl in our class died. She was hit by a car at 13 at the California Poppy Festival. She was in several of my classes. One of them was an english class with Mrs. Fisher who had switched from a 7th grade teacher to an 8th grade teacher the previous year. The week after her death the class did several activities to assist the grieving of the class. It was during that week that Mrs. Fisher came up to me and said, "Matt i just wanted to tell you that you that i see what you mean. I was driving home the other day thinking about everything that has gone on, and it was just so overwhelming and then a song came on the radio. It was the Beatles. I wish i had written the words down because it was just so applicable to everything that we're going through. And i just thought, Matt was right."

There are very hard times in life. No one can deny that. Times where our world is turned upside down and not a soul in it can explain why it is the way it is. I find myself in the middle of one of those times. The Beatles offer unconditional comfort and acceptance. When i listen to the Beatles i can not stay down. How can anyone not watch their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show and not feel their heart in their chest? If the Beatles could have existed in this world, i believe that things always can and will get better. To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment