Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ramblings#51

I am at a loss for words today.

I think I'll share some words that are not my own today.

Excerpt From Romancing The Looky Loos By Dave Hickey from his book Air Guitar: Essays on Art and Democracy

"They think you just get up there and sing your songs," he is saying, addressing the highway. "They think it's just a one-way deal, but it's not like that at all. Because you start out playing for people who are just like you. That's the only place you can. You play for people who comes from where you come from. They seek you out in little clubs because they understand what you're doing, so you feel like you're doing it for them. And if you go wrong in these clubs, you know it immediately. And maybe you want to go wrong. That's your option, but you know it when you do it. Then one day you're not playing for people like you anymore. You look out there, like I did tonight, and realize that you're playing for people who want to be like you, and you can't trust these people. Because to them, whatever you do, that's you and that's cool. Which would be okay except!--even though all these people want to be like you, you don't know who you are anymore, because it was the people in those little clubs that gave you that understanding in the first place. God knows where they are tonight. Sitting at home, probably. Pissed off at me. Listening to Willie Nelson records."

He is speaking with Waylon Jennings in this part of the book.

I am ready for today. I am ready for whatever comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment